Eligibility Requirements & Exam Information
ABCGN certification is open to registered nurses currently engaged in GI/endoscopy. To qualify for certification or recertification, candidates must meet the following criteria:
1. By the first day of the testing period (May 1 or October 1), candidates must have been employed in clinical, supervisory, administrative, teaching/education or research capacities in an institutional or private practice setting for a minimum of two (2) years full-time, or its part-time equivalent of 4000 hours, within the past five (5) years in GI/endoscopy.
- Work experience must be as an RN (i.e., an LPN who has become an RN must have two years experience as an RN prior to sitting for the CGRN designation regardless of the number of years of GI experience as an LPN.)
- Full time industry nurses whose focus is at least 40% clinical practice, education, or research are eligible. Those whose focus is sales are not.
2. Each candidate is required to submit the contact information of two responsible practitioners in the specialty who can verify his/her work experience and professional qualifications.
3. Each candidate is required to submit a copy of his/her current and unrestricted license as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the United States.
Read the Certification Handbook below for more information regarding requirements and eligibility.
This Certification Handbook has been published to help you through the examination process. You can make the process easier for yourself by following these easy steps:
- Discard all previous handbooks and forms.
- Follow all instructions in the handbook carefully.
- Submit your materials online by the appropriate deadline.
The Examination: There is one ABCGN certification examination for RNs. The examination is based on role delineations -- surveys of practitioners, which define the scope of practice and the knowledge and skills required to function in the field. All examination items are written by certified individuals with expertise in the field of gastroenterology and/or gastroenterology endoscopy nursing practice.
Test Items (Questions): Test items are reviewed, referenced and validated by the ABCGN Item Writers Committee and, finally, edited by the testing company for construction, grammatical correctness and clarity. Examination Content The CGRN examination each consist of 175 multiple-choice questions. Each question has four choices and one correct answer. Candidates have three hours to complete their examination.
The CGRN examination contains questions from four major content areas: general nursing care, gastroenterological procedures, patient care interventions and environmental safety, infection prevention and control. All questions are directly related to the GI specialty. More specific information regarding the content of the examinations is included in the Appendix of the Certification Handbook.
Preparation for the Examination: ABCGN does not sponsor or endorse test preparation or review courses for the certification examinations. SGNA, ABCGN's sister organization, offers both courses and materials for the exam and recertification. Visit the SGNA website for more details.
Prometric: Prometric is ABCGN's testing partner. They assist ABCGN with test development and provide test delivering and scoring.
If you have any questions regarding testing centers or exam dates, please contact Prometric at 800-853-6769 or visit their website at www.prometric.com.
It is highly recommended that all candidates carefully read the Certification Handbook and review the Exam Resources before applying for the exam.